Summer Camps 2018: Preschool and Special Needs
Summer camps for the preschoolers may seem hard to find, but there are actually several in the area that cater just to the little ones, and many bigger camps that have shorter days for the preschool crowd. Similarly, for those of you looking for camps for your kids with special needs, there are camps that specialize in special needs services, and there are also general inclusive camps that provide the smaller kid-to-counselor ratios or special attention for kids who might need it. As with my previous posts on Sports Camps, Arts Camps, and STEM Camps (and next week for Social Studies and Language Camps), I turned last year to my local friends and also the readers of the Madison Area Facebook Page for their suggestions for Preschool and also Special Needs camps, and have now, freshly updated the list for 2018.
- London Day School, 10 Ridgedale Ave, Florham Park
For details on the "Summer at London" camp, call the London Day School at (973)-377-0311.
- Summer Fun Preschool Camp, held at Long Hill Christian Preschool, Shunpike, Chatham
Designed and run by Chatham preschool teachers. 2 1/2 year old program, and ages 3-6 program. Mon-Thurs. 9:30am-12:30pm.
- St. Patrick School, 45 Chatham St, Chatham
Summer camp information will be posted on the Web site soon. Entering grades preK4-grade 6.
- Madison Community House Summer Fun Camp, Madison Community House, 25 Cook Ave, Madison
Four 3-day (Tues-Thurs) camps, with a different theme each week. 9am-12pm. Ages 4-8.
- The Goddard School, 190 Campus Dr, Florham Park, 973-437-5100
Weekly camps in July and August from 7am-6pm. Ages 6 weeks-kindergarten. Theme this year is Future Authors. STEAM activities woven throughout the day.
- The Learning Path Preschool's Camp Adventure, 300 Shunpike, Chatham
Bi-weekly sessions in July and August of 2-5 days. Full day (7am-6pm), school day (8:45am-3:30pm), or preschool (9am-1:30pm). Also kindergarten camp Aug 20-24.
- Morristown YMCA KinderCamp and Little Owls programs, held at The Richard F. Blake Children’s Center 65 Horsehill Road, Cedar Knolls
Full or half-day camps, for 3-5 days per week. Ages 3-4, and also kindercamp.
- Chatham Fish and Game, 41 Fairmount Ave, Chatham
Week-long sessions from 9am-1pm. Guppies are ages 3-4. Camp goes up to age 10.
- Harbor Hills Day Camp, 75 Doby Rd, Mendham
Junior Camp for ages 3-4. (Camp goes through teenagers.) Mini-day ends at 2pm. Full-day ends at 3:30pm.
- Future Stars Day Camps, held at College of St. Elizabeth, 2 Convent Rd, Morristown
Voyager Camp for ages 4-8. Weekly or 3-day options. Tot Time for ages 4-5 from 9am-1pm.
- Center Court Academy, 222 N. Passaic Ave, Chatham
Weekly half-day camp from 9am-1:30pm for ages 3-5. Other camps available for older children.
- Morris Plains Co-Op, 8 Cleveland Ave, Morris Plains
For ages 3-5.
- Mothers' Morning Out Summer Session, held at Oden Memorial Presbyterian Church,286 Main St, Chatham
For children who have completed a two's program this year. Camp runs Tues-Thurs 9am-12pm.
- Camp Riverbend, 116 Hillcrest Rd, Warren Twp.
Clubhouse is for ages 3-5. (Camp is also for older campers.) Ages 3-4 may attend 9:30am-12:30pm or 9:30am-2pm. Children entering last year of preschool or kindergarten may attend full-day.
- Sprout House, 200 Main St, Chatham
Weekly sessions. Half-day (9am-12pm) or full-day (9am-4pm). Extended hours also available. For ages 3-6.
- Kent Place School, 42 Norwood Ave, Summit
Weekly camps from 9am-12:30pm. Extended day also available. For boys and girls ages 3-5 (entering kindergarten).
- Oasis Day Camp, Early Start Imagination Camp, held at Drew University, Madison
Weekly camp from 8:30am-5pm (early dismissal at 3pm is available.). For ages 3-5. (Older campers also attend Oasis Day Camp.)
- Chatham Day School, 700 Shunpike, Chatham
Weekly camps from 9am-1pm. Birdies program for ages 2 1/2-5 1/2. (Camp goes through grade 3.)
- The Family Partners of Morris and Sussex Counties Family Support Organization will hold a free workshop open to the public on Summer Camp for Children with Developmental Disabilities: An Overview of the Application and Funding Processes on March 23 from 7-8pm. Call 973-940-3194 for information and to register.
For a list of Qualified Children's System of Care (CSOC) camp providers, visit:
- Pioneer Playground Camp through TryCAN Special Needs, held at Lions Park, Constance Rd, New Providence
For kids with unique needs to participate on typical playground camp-type activities as kids rotate through various stations (arts/crafts, sports, games, blacktop/grass). Ages 5-11 (grouped by age and ability. Weekly camps July 31-Aug 4, and Aug 7-Aug 11. 12pm-3pm. Summer Dance, Movement, and Yoga programs also available in Summit for ages 5-15 on Sundays in July. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info on both programs.
- New Horizons Day Camp, held at Brooklake School, 235 Brooklake Rd, Florham Park
Weekly inclusive camps from June 26-Aug 18. For grades K-9. Bussing included. Open house March 26 from 1pm-4pm at Brooklake School.
- EPOCH (Educational Programs of Children Handicapped) held at the Madison Area YMCA, 111 Kings Rd, Madison
- TIKES at ISP Day Camp for Children with Special Needs, 16 West Hanover Ave, Randolph
In 2017, had program for children ages 3-12 with special needs. 3:1 camper to staff ratio. Half-day (9am-12pm or 12pm-3pm) and full-day (9am-3pm) available. Before and after care available.
- Camp Hope, Arc of Essex County, East Hanover
Weekly camp for campers with intellectual and developmental disabilities. 9am-3pm.