A Prayer for Entering Junior School
In just a few short days, many of us will experience our child's first day of sixth grade. The elementary school days of knowing where they are at all times, having them tell you about what they did at school or with their friends, and being able to watch over their shoulder as they complete their homework are in the past. Now is the time for us to take a deep breath, and be there for them as they navigate their way through their preteen and teenage years. Here is a little prayer for all our incoming sixth graders:
- May you quickly figure out how to open your combination lock on your locker.
- May you learn how to navigate the halls in the two minutes you need to get from class to class.
- May your alarm clock always go off at the right time.
- May you remember to bring home all the right text books.
- May you go the whole year without breaking your Chromebook.
- May you not break your phone (more than you already have).
- May you find friends to sit with at lunch.
- May you not have a bad hair day on picture day.
- May you always find an outlet and charging cord when you need to charge your phone.
- May you walk to school, even when it rains and snows.
- May you always remember your sneakers on gym days.
- May you find friends in your classes, but also make new ones.
- May you not be afraid to ask for help when you don't understand something.
- May you be able to find a balance of school, family, and friends.
And if any of these hopes do not work out, may you always face frustration with a smile, a determination to figure things out, and a sense of humor to get you through. And may you always know that your family is there for you.